Have you noticed a new type of water on the shelves? Or maybe overheard people talking about it? Alkaline water has been pushed to the side to make room for the new hype- Hydrogen water.
It is pure water with hydrogen gas added. You can buy it bottled or in tablet form that dissolves in water and creates fizz. There are even hydrogen water machines sold on Amazon. Molecular hydrogen is a colorless, odorless gas that binds to other elements like oxygen in the water. It’s non toxic and well tolerated for the digestive system.
As with everything new, the research needs time to catch up. There are quite a few studies that show promising benefits of molecular hydrogen.
Some of those benefits are:
- It boosts athletic performance by increasing energy and improves post workout recovery.
- Hydrogen water has anti-antioxidant properties. Studies show it lowers oxidative stress in cancer patients undergoing radiation.
- It has qualities that help manage inflammation in the body, which has an overall positive effect on our well-being.
- Some studies show it improves metabolic health and helps reduce levels of LDL cholesterol.
- Hydrogen water may help treat symptoms of hangover or jet lag.
Not all hydrogen products are created equally. Alex Tarnava and Dr. Richard Holland are the founders of Drink HRW, one of the first hydrogen products on the market. They are widely credited with making these products popular and opening the door for others to compete in its manufacture. Tarnava and Holland point out the saturation level of hydrogen is a vital factor in delivering any of the promised effects. The Drink HRW product is called Rejuvenation and comes in the form of tablets. Other popular brands in the marketplace are Quicksilver H2, Nordic Clinical H2, and Ultra H2.
The price point for this product is higher than more traditional alternative waters and at this point more studies for its effectiveness are needed. But it might be a good way to get people to drink more water and run that extra mile.